Friday, February 3, 2012

Nostril Technician

On the way home last night, Katy Rose and I had a little conversation in the car that I decided to commit to memory so I could blog it.  This is the kind of stuff that makes me laugh and will quite possibly provide me with good material for eliciting cooperation during her teenage years.  Then again, perhaps it is merely an indication of a potential future in science or medicine.  Observation, diagnostics, experimentation, even an attempt to rate the level of pain.  Well, alright, maybe I’m overreaching a bit.  But it is, if nothing else, a brief pointless story.

Katy Rose: Mommy, my right nostril hurts.
Mommy: Does it hurt on the inside or the outside?
KR: On the inside.
M: Does it hurt all the time?  Or just when you touch it?
KR: Well, it hurts when my finger is in it.
M: Oh!  Well, problem solved – don’t put your finger in it.  I know the hole is just big enough for your finger, but that doesn’t mean you should put your finger in it.
KR: Well, it also hurts if I push on the outside like this, or if I go like this (rubs nose back and forth with back of hand) to itch it.  Can you see in it?  Is it pink?  I think we should get the thermometer when we get home.  My other one, the left nostril doesn’t really hurt.  But my right nostril hurts like a hippo sitting on my belly!
M: Hmm… maybe you shouldn’t touch it at all then.

No comments:

Post a Comment