Friday, June 17, 2011

I Can Only Imagine (posted 9/25/2009)

Well, childhood is in full swing here in the Tobin household.  And one of the most amazing, quirky, funny, and sometimes even annoying things about children is their imagination.  I know, imagine that, right?

I was talking with Katy Rose recently about bedtime and dreaming.  She told me about a dream she had, and it was not the first time she told me about this particular dream.  She said she dreamed that daddy put food on her head and that he put her in a stinky pot.  Not kidding.  I barely restrained myself from laughing at her because she said it so matter-of-factly.  Still haven't figured out what might have spawned that dream!

Another issue we have had is about a ton.  For a long time we had issues at bedtime or in the middle of the night when Katy would tell me about a ton.  I could not figure out what the problem was, but thought it must be related to nighttime shadows in her room.  Just recently she brought it up again, and it was easier to understand now that her vocabulary is larger.  She told me there is a big tongue that is in the bushes and she is afraid of it.  Yep.  And I'm still stumped.

My favorite part of her imagination is the funny part.  The part where she makes things act like people, makes them talk, etc.  Sometimes, when I have my feet up on the ottoman, she goes over to the entertainment center and makes a shhh noise like she's filling up a cup with water from the faucet.  Then she puts it down in front of my foot and tells my toes "There's some water for you."  Then she'll do it again, put it down in front of the other foot and tells those toes that she's given them some milk.  I am fully expected to make my toes drink each beverage and be satisfied.  Where on earth did this come from?  I can only imagine.

No comments:

Post a Comment