Friday, June 17, 2011

Two (posted 6/23/2009)

Not that we were eagerly awaiting this stage in Katy's development, but at least I can say with confidence that she has definitely reached the "terrible twos." 

It was difficult for me to figure this out, because up until recently she was such a sweet little girl, and when she did act up it was either really cute or it was due to a problem she was having.  So when these tantrums started happening, and she started getting nasty, I naturally assumed it was because she was having a tummy ache, tooth ache, head ache, etc.  Granted, she actually is cutting her 2nd molars so that might have contributed.  But I finally realized she is just, well, two.

I think the official point of terrible two-dom could be named as the day Mike tried to take her to the grocery store, like he always does, except this time she went in the store wearing shoes and a diaper.  And that's it.  It was the floral dept. "balloon lady" that was able to talk her into wearing her shirt, bribed with a balloon, of course. 

That was only the beginning.  Last night she threw a fit because I cut her PB&J into triangles without asking, and she wanted circles.  Then she wanted squares.  What she got was a few minutes in her crib and then a plate of PB&J triangles. 

It's still hard because I think we were too easy on her for too long, and I didn't catch on right away about how, when, and why I should put my foot down.  Now we're both polishing our sheriff badges.  I'm hoping soon she will figure out this whole boss thing (namely, that she is not it).  In the meantime, Mike and I are doing our best to be better parents and exercise tolerance and patience.

No comments:

Post a Comment