Friday, June 17, 2011

Size is Relative (posted 5/9/2009)

Now that Katy Rose is talking and jabbering away at almost any opportunity, she has really shown her imagination with everyday objects.  From tipping her Little People giraffes upside down and using them to serve "coffee" to Grandma, to making her toys interact with each other, there is truly no limit to a child's mind.  

A friend said that her four-year-old son thinks she is 100 years old and 40 inches tall, according to his Mother's Day letter that they helped him create in preschool.  Another said her child thought she weighed 8 lbs.  Some children think their mom is 22, or 35, when actually she's in between... I wonder what Katy will say about me in another year or two?

I think I've mentioned the Mommy Pooh before in this blog.  The Mommy Pooh is the Classic Pooh that my friend, Amy, sent to her before she was born.  It is the Pooh I used to place next to her in photos each month of her first year to document her growth in a tangible way.  Other than the really big Pooh that is now up on the shelf, this Pooh is her largest.  

Another Pooh she has is also "Classic" and is actually a pull-string that plays a music box tune.  One day she started using the musical Pooh, which is small, to call out "Mommy, Mommy!" to the larger Pooh.  I learned that the large one is the Mommy Pooh, and the musical one is the baby Pooh.  Then she grabbed another Pooh that is medium-sized and referred to it as Daddy Pooh.

I could easily take offense at the thought that she thinks I'm the largest person in the family... even if it's (temporarily) true, I doubt any mom wants to be known as bigger than daddy.  But then I decided to reframe this: I am the biggest PRIORITY in her life... hee hee hee.  One of my old nicknames was The Queen of Rationalization.  Also, Queen of the Dorks.  But I digress...

Since then, whenever Katy has three items that are the same, only different sizes, she identifies them.  The littlest is always Katy Rose (pronounced Kayee Wose).  Then the largest one takes turns being Mommy or Daddy.  So I guess that kinda blows my idea out of the water.  But you know what, there isn't a whole lot that is cuter than Katy creating walking, talking "people" out of the pieces of a slice of cheese.  Yes, indeed, I have seen myself impersonated in pieces of food.  And I have been made to converse with a sippy cup calling out for me.  The most common thing that the sippy cup and other inanimate objects say to me when they get my attention: "Mommy! Mommy! Wah-u dooeen?"  So I could be myself, a piece of cheese, or a stuffed Poohbear.  Personally, I believe all three of those things are pretty wonderful.  I guess it's all relative.

No comments:

Post a Comment