Thursday, June 16, 2011

Snap, Crackle, Pop (posted 4/2/2009)

When I was a little kid, the coolest breakfast cereal we were allowed to have in our house was, by far, Rice Krispies.  Even though I was told numerous times throughout my childhood that I should become a lawyer because of my effective arguing skills, there was no amount of effort on my part that ever resulted in products like Cookie Crisp in our cupboards.  Granted, I am sure I ate more than my share of chocolate chip cookies, but at least they wouldn't be found in my breakfast--if Mom had anything to say about it.  Of course, she was correct.  There probably isn't any difference between Cookie Crisp and a bowl full of cookies.  So anyway, back to the Rice Krispies...

The thing that makes Rice Krispies so cool is the sound effects.  Once you pour the milk on them, little tiny bubbles form and then they pop.  It's this sound that formed the basis of their famous "Snap, Crackle & Pop" slogan (and cartoon characters, of course).  Well, lo and behold, Rice Krispies showed up in our kitchen recently.  Mike saw them advertised on sale at the grocery store and decided to buy them.  When I saw them, it was a real "duh" moment, as in "Duh, why didn't I think of buying those for Katy?"

When the weekend came around, I poured a bowl of them for Katy, and a bowl for myself.  I set her up for the excitement of hearing snap, crackle, pop... poured the milk... brought them to the table and we both sat down together and had them for breakfast.  I was impressed that a) she actually ate something new and seemed to like it, and b) she sat in Mike's chair and used her own spoon and actually got most of it in her mouth!  But I admit, inside I was slightly disappointed because she didn't seem to absorb or react to my enthusiasm about them.

My disappointment quickly disappeared the next morning, when Katy came to the kitchen for breakfast and asked me for "Pop-Pops."  I not-so-immediately understood that she was referring to the Rice Krispies.  Yeah!  She likes 'em!  She asked for them!  Woo-hoo!  (I'm still not entirely sure why this is a big deal to me.)

Now, with her finicky toddler ways, at least I have Pop-Pops to fall back on.  One day, when she wasn't feeling well, she actually refused anything but Pop-Pops all day.  I don't know how you can enjoy Pop-pops for breakfast, lunch, and dinner... but that day, she did.  I decided not to worry about it since she wasn't well that day, and luckily she hasn't done that again.

So yeah, Pop-Pops now reign supreme in our house, like they did most of the time in my house growing up.  Cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment