Saturday, January 22, 2011

Joe or Mistletoe? (posted 12/15/2006)

Hallelujah!  Amid all the changes I've been dealing with, I have very positive news to share: I love coffee again.  Okay, so I'm not exactly sure why that qualifies as "positive" news, since it is an addictive beverage for which I need to limit my consumption, but it does mark a small measure of returning to my normal self.  Don't get me wrong, the chai is still great (especially since I've been making it myself more than ordering it), but there really is nothing like sitting down to a Rooty Tooty Fresh 'n' Fruity at IHOP with a nice hot cup of coffee.  
 
Although I love it again, I'm trying not to slip right back to where I was pre-pregnancy.  No espresso for me, not until after this whole baby-making thing is done.  It's just too easy to overshoot the caffeine limits when you bring espresso into the equation.  For now, I'll stick to regular drip or my old, pre-latte standby: cafe au lait.  I always think it's nice to learn new things, so I'll share my Lesson of the Day: in some coffeehouses, cafe au lait is known as misto (mees-toe, not to be confused with mistletoe).  And as an added bonus, misto packs a nutritional punch because it is half milk. 
 
One of my favorite things about pregnancy is the increased need for calcium because I LOVE milk.  Of course, in our house there is a constant battle between my preference for skim milk and my husband's preference for 2%.  I'm sure the occasional 2% and our compromise (1%) probably contributed to me getting stuck trying to get out of the back seat of my friend's Nissan Xterra yesterday.  But I made it on the second try even though I was extremely busy laughing heartily at myself, and now I'm sitting here enjoying my nonfat misto.  You can only do so much... Thank goodness my friends with big SUVs at least have conveniently-located "oh sh*%" handles to help me in and out of them!
 
Yes, in addition to coffee, my other pregnancy food aversions have disappeared.  This is a Wendy's Pointless Story, so of course a double-edged sword presents itself: I no longer have irrational reasons to abstain from certain foods, and therefore also have no natural barrier to stop me from eating too much food (other than the dreaded, inevitable case of heartburn).  But considering I didn't have many aversions to things that are fattening, I suppose it's not too much of a problem.  So bring it on: saute those onions, scramble those eggs, brew the coffee.  I promise I won't complain that the smell of onions is pure evil, and I will no longer claim that syrup is necessary if you want me to actually eat those eggs.  And if you happen to make me some decaf, why not make it a nonfat latte?  Otherwise I'll stick to the mistletoe.

No comments:

Post a Comment