Sunday, January 23, 2011

Translation of the 16-Month-Old (posted 7/26/2008)

One of the few everyday pleasures I have in my life is, duh, Katy Rose.  She really keeps me on my toes and constantly trying to communicate with her as well as keep up with her.  She's started saying some words but I only have some of it translated... unfortunately, she didn't come with her very own Rosetta Stone.  Here's what I know so far:

Patting on the high chair + "Ungie" = I'm hungry

"Ohm-mey" = Mommy

"Woo" = Woof (as in her favorite animal sound)

"Doggah" = her favorite animal

"Up-bay" = ? (I haven't figured out this commonly used word yet)

"Bah" = Baa (as in what the sheep says)

"Ra Ra" = Roar (as in what the lion and dinosaurs say)

"Nana" = Banana

Clasping hands together + "Ahmin" = Amen

"Ah-gah" = All gone, also used for All Done

Waving hand + "Bye" = Goodbye

"Pay" = Airplane

"Bay" = Baby

"Hey" = Hey, as in "Hey, I was playing with that"

Other words that she uses correctly on a daily basis are:

"Whoa," "Wow," and "Ooh!"

And the other day she recognized the letter Y and said Y (from her name letters).

That's about it for the time being.  She's learning quick, so maybe soon she will have more to say.  Until then, we're getting by with the sign language for "milk" and a variety of whines, hand gestures, and other noises.  I still can't believe she's saying Mommy!  It took me some time to figure out she was saying it... well, I may not be the sharpest tool in the shed.

No comments:

Post a Comment