Sunday, January 23, 2011

Thirty, Flirty, and--Hey, Wait a Second (posted 3/21/2008)

So yeah, I am thirty years old.  This fact hasn’t really bothered me except on the recent occasions when I realize something about me has changed... for the "older."  Not sure if it’s better... just, well, not descriptive of twenty-something behavior or characteristics.  And it’s really not anything super-significant, but apparently significant enough for me to put on a little whine and blog about it here.

When I was 24, I was kinda excited to turn 25.  It’s like a magic number.  I’m one of those odd ones that has a feeling about certain numbers...as a kid I was pretty superstitious.  Although I’ve grown out of this behavior for the most part, I still do a thing where I step in certain spots to have lines slanting the "right" way and avoid stepping on lines.  I’m pretty sure I’m not describing this in a way that you have any idea what I’m talking about, but hey, it’s my blog.  So anyway, back to turning 25.  Two days before my 25th birthday, I had my first case of heartburn.  I had no idea what it was until Mike filled me in on what heartburn felt like.  I was really kinda mad about it, I mean, couldn’t it wait two more days?  Heartburn seemed like a thing that happens to adults, or at least no one under 25.

Well, not that my birthday just happened (it was back in November), but I’ve noticed some things about myself lately that make me afraid I might be starting to get a little on the old side.  And frankly, it makes me wonder if there’s some sort of switch that flips when you turn 30, or 40, or 50... and those things I thought wouldn’t dare occur until I was "older" just happen after that switch gets flipped.  The two things I’m whining about today are about my radio preferences and my hair.

I’ve been a pretty loyal listener of the Edge 103.9 (local alternative rock station) for many years.  Yes, I love a lot of different music, so I also frequent stations with classic rock, mainstream rock, 80’s-90’s-00’s mix pop/rock, classical, dance, and occasionally I get in the mood for hip hop (though rare).  But I’ve noticed lately that I’m listening to KTAR.  As in, news/weather/traffic/talk radio.  And for some reason this really bothers me, that I’ve been preferring it over my favorite station.  This is something my parents would do (unless listening to their other favorite station, "smooth jazz" that makes me want to stuff silly putty in my ears until I’m in a silent cocoon).  What’s the deal with me?  Does this mean I’m getting old?  Or is it simply reflective of the fact that I have an extraordinarily long commute in the mornings when I drop Katy off and I need traffic updates (which the Edge no longer provides)?  It’s a conundrum.

My other problem occurred last week.  We had spent a little time outdoors lately in the nice weather, and usually when I’m out in the sun for a bit, my hair starts to get a few highlights.  One morning I was getting ready for work and I noticed this one hair on my head.  It was pretty light and I thought, this is just from the sun.  But upon closer inspection in the mirror, this one hair seemed suspicious.  It was kinda crooked, like it refused to conform to the style I had just imposed with mousse and hairdryer.  I singled it out, grasped and pulled it out.  I realized the problem.  This hair was coarse, which explained why it didn’t want to go with the wave of the others, but it was also NOT blonde.  It was white.  As in, my first gray hair.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!

I feel a sense of defeat.  I know, I have friends that started going gray in high school or college.  But they’re not ME!  I always thought my hair was just light enough that I would be able to hide the grays when they start coming (when I’m in my 50’s of course).  Yeah, not so fast, skipper.  You’re in your 30’s.  Barely.  ((sigh))

Well, time to get back to grown-up, adult stuff.  I’ve got to get these cabinet child locks installed.  My daughter is everywhere, with a capital E.  She’s taking a nap right now, which is where I would rather be, because, of course, old people need naps, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment