Saturday, January 22, 2011

Why I Tell Pointless Stories (posted 6/14/2007)

Okay, so you know how I do that thing where I am in a group of people and we're all talking about a particular subject, and I have this thought about a story that is completely relevant to the discussion and decide to relate my personal anecdote to the group?  Yes, that is exactly how Wendy's Pointless Story Hour began.  I caught myself doing it again last night.  I went to a meeting after work and in the meeting and again in the parking lot afterward I felt myself telling pointless stories.  Trouble is, the people I was with are too kind to interrupt me and say what they are thinking... which is probably along the lines of, "Wendy, it takes you a really long time to say anything and I still can't figure out what your point is.  How about you sit on the sidelines until you can learn how to tell a story in a concise manner?  My shows are on."

I don't know why I have this problem.  It's like my brain moves too fast for my mouth and I practically end up stuttering just trying to make the sentences flow.  It does take me a really long time to tell a story, and with the bad flow of my story-telling style, any funny ending--whatever ties it all up at the end--totally loses its luster from the way I imagined it in my head.  Sounds pretty ridiculous, but that's why I like to write this little blog.  If you wanna read it, you can, but you're not forced to sit there while I fumble it out loud.  Ladies from last night's meeting: Sorry... it's something I need to work on.  Always has been.  I think it's even worse now because when I'm with Katy Rose I can just ramble on and on with her and she thinks I'm interesting and great. 

When I come home from work we have whole conversations that go like this:

Mommy: Hi sweetie pea!!  I missed you!  How was your day?  Where did you go today?

Katy: ah, gah, ohh, gah-roo.  ooh.

M: Oh my goodness, really?  That sounds like so much fun!  What else did you do?

K: rooh, gah, GAH! oohrl.

M: Wow!  It sounds like you had a good time.  I can't believe Daddy bought you a new balloon when you were at the grocery store.  What a nice daddy you have!

K: oohrl.  rooh.  boohbhphzsh.

M: What a good girl you are.  Here, give me your hands.  Here we go, let's go change your diapie.  And then we're going to read a book, and since you've already had your dinner, you can play in your seat while Mommy and Daddy eat dinner.  And then, it's bathtime!  How fun is that!?! What do you think, Katy Rose?  Then you'll smell so yummy and baby fresh for Grandma tomorrow.

You get the picture.  On and on, it doesn't matter what I say to her as long as I'm using a baby-friendly voice and I look into her eyes and smile.  She's really smart--she can tell a real smile from a fake one.  If you smile at her when you're wearing sunglasses, she won't smile back.  She is looking for the smile in your eyes, not your mouth.  See, look, there's a little tangent already.  I guess that's why this in itself is a Pointless Story.  But at least I have fun writing it.

No comments:

Post a Comment