Sunday, January 23, 2011

So Far, So Good (posted 10/18/2007)

Well, we're here... we actually made it!  Katy was such a trooper yesterday, she sat quietly in the umbrella stroller as I wheeled her in front of me with one hand, pulled the suitcase with carseat bag attached behind me, and walked with two carry-on bags draped over me, one on each side.  Everyone was very helpful.  The flight attendants were great, even the TSA people were helpful in getting us through security relatively quickly.  The only teeny problem we had was on the flight.  I had booked our seats at the back of the plane, and Katy was snug asleep in her car seat.  I finally got up to use the bathroom, and Murphy's Law kicked in.  Inside that tiny lavatory I heard the high-pitched scream... yes, at that moment her spidey senses told her that mommy had left her alone with strangers and she woke up.  But luckily it didn't take long for me to return and she wasn't crying, just with a scared look on her face and big tears eeking out of the corners of her eyes.

And just to make me feel like maybe I wasn't so crazy after all, one of the flight attendants told me I was a good mom.  She said that I might think it was a comfort thing to bring Katy's car seat on board, but it really is a safety thing.  She said she understood some people couldn't afford to buy a seat for their baby, but it really isn't safe to hold the baby on your lap.  So she made me feel good about it, even though it was a no-brainer for me.  Then she held Katy while I packed up her car seat in its wheelie bag, and someone carried it off the plane for me while she carried Katy off the plane for me.  So I just wanted to say Thank You to the nice Delta employees that helped us yesterday.

Right now Katy is napping in the borrowed crib.  She seems to be handling the chaos really well.  Last night she was really unhappy because she was completely overstimulated and it had been a long day.  But she slept the night like normal and is doing much better today, especially with my friend's kids playing with her.  She just loves other little people like herself, and they were able to keep her entertained long enough for me to get a pedicure and a latte.  Mmm... caffeine.

In a bit, we'll get up and have some veggies, maybe a bottle, and then head down toward the city to meet some more friends that I haven't seen in about 6.5 years!

No comments:

Post a Comment