Sunday, January 23, 2011

Stuck in a Rut (posted 7/25/2008)

Why is it that I can, and do, completely ignore the perfectly sound information I already have in my brain?  I have so much stored in there that I'm sure some people that know me probably have to restrain themselves from calling me a know-it-all half the time.  For example:

Fact: With proper monitoring of my calorie/fat intake and dietary needs, combined with adequate amounts of physical exertion, I will lose this excess weight.

Yet here I am, with a 16-month-old child, still carrying around a heap of pregnancy weight that is not only a burden on my self-esteem, it actually may be causing some of my physical ailments.  Dumb.

Fact: If you don't like what you're doing, then it's time to do something else.

Yet here I am, dreading going to work every day because I don't want to deal with the problems I'm having with my boss.  Staying in a job for too long, thinking I just hadn't adjusted yet, or that my feeling about it was just a temporary phase.  No, I think I'm just not a good fit for my job and my boss.  I'm not enjoying it.  I'm not getting to do something that was a major part of my prior job that I am really passionate about.  And now the job market is kinda in the toilet...

Fact: Stress can produce physical symptoms.  Sometimes you can ease those symptoms by reducing stress--get exercise, drink lots of water, and get adequate sleep.

Yet, here I am, not drinking enough water.  Not getting nearly enough sleep.  Feeling physical aches and pains that are absolutely stress-induced, yet instead of going to the gym (which I KNOW will probably make me feel better at least temporarily), I'm being lazy.  Going for that cookie, extra piece of chocolate, etc.  Drinking too much caffeine during the day, and having a drink in the evening.  Not going to bed early enough, not waking up early enough.  Not wanting to get out of bed, period.

I get frustrated with myself because I know the answers.  I know what I need to do.  I just don't know how to make myself do them.  And if I do things right for the most part one day, it is one day out of a bunch of surrounding days when I'm not doing things right.

Ugh.  Anybody got an answer I don't?

No comments:

Post a Comment