Saturday, January 22, 2011

What's in a Name? (posted 3/22/2007)

Well, we've managed to keep Schmoopie here alive and well for more than 2 weeks.  In fact, Daddy went to work today for the first time since she was born, and even though I had a friend over for most of the time he's been gone, I'm feeling more confident about caring for her by myself. 

So what's the secret to happy newborn care?  Two things: getting some time away every now and then, and allowing yourself to use whatever nickname comes to mind for the baby.  Today's Nickname of the Day is Schmoopie.  Other popular ones include, of course, Chunky Monkey, and perhaps my favorite, Stinky La Rue. 

Yesterday I went to Target.  It was the first time I have driven a car since before her birth, and the first time I went somewhere by myself too.  It was so liberating, and I didn't even realize I needed to be liberated until I left.  Plus it made me miss her so my batteries felt a little recharged by the time I got home.

Well, Schmoopie is waking up, but by the sound of things, perhaps I should be referring to her as Stinky La Rue.

No comments:

Post a Comment