Sunday, January 23, 2011

Seriously Silly (posted 11/10/2008)

I just wanted to share an observation I have recently made about Katy Rose.  That girl is positively silly.  To be honest, it didn't really occur to me how silly she is until I tried to relate to some other children the way I relate to her.  Most of the time, other children give me a look that makes me think they either think I'm nuts or maybe from another species.  It's happened to me on many occasions.  Granted, it could just be that I'm a stranger.  In which case, this whole argument is pretty much null & void, so I'm going to ignore that possibility and concentrate on my observation—Katy is a silly child.

The logical assumption is that Katy is a silly child because she is the child of very silly parents.  As one of the said parents, I can vouch for the validity of this assumption.  Mike and I are quite silly people, and truth be told it is the third reason I was attracted to Mike when I met him.  First being his eyes, and second being the fact that he was employed.  I didn't find out how silly he was until after I knew about the first two.

When we talked about the possibility of having a baby, I said I was concerned about tension building up between us, because having a baby would certainly be a stressful thing for new parents, and we don't fight enough to do it well.  Mike's response?  If that situation occurs, one of us will simply hold up the baby and say (in a baby-talk-ish way) "Oh, look at the cute baby!"  Ta-dah—tension broken.  Everyone laughs and all is right in the world again.  It actually sounded like a good plan.  (Like I said, we're pretty silly.)

So far, Katy's life has been a course in silliness.  She's immersed in silliness every day, whether it's a daddy-daughter day, silly with mommy time, or fun days with her grandparents.  I guess it stands to reason that if I argue Katy is silly because her parents are silly, then her parents are silly because their parents are silly.  This is, in fact, the case.  All four of Katy's grandparents are also silly people. 

Which brings me back to the reason I made the observation about silliness in Katy Rose.  Some people are not silly.  Their children are not silly.  Being a silly person, it's a little difficult for me to relate to non-silly children.  I mean, Katy spends a good portion of each day giggling.  Much of that is due to being tickled, however there are times that I can't figure out what she's snickering about.  And I absolutely love it.  It brings balance to my life as a grown-up. 

I know some of those more serious children seem more "ahead" of Katy, developmentally speaking.  They might be doing some things before she is.  At first I wondered if this was something to be concerned about.  But when I really thought about it, honestly, I decided I'd rather be grateful that my child is healthy and normal.  I wouldn't trade her silliness for any amount of achievement or development.  Most of my adult life I've wondered about "happiness" and what it means to have it.  Now I have it.  My child has it too, and I will do the best I can to keep it that way.  Seriously.

No comments:

Post a Comment